If you’ve just underwent the ostomy procedure, then it is crucial to be very careful about your diet and nutrition. Any wrong food ingested into your body can lead to complications.
That said, here are some of the most helpful ostomy diet and nutrition tips that you have to keep in mind, so you’ll know exactly what to eat and stay away from:
- Eat meals regularly – This means eating at least three times every day. You can expect ostomy to work favorably that way while also producing less gas. Aside from eating regularly, it is vital for you to chew foods properly. Such is crucial in preventing the risk of stoma blockage. You also need to be extra careful when you’re chewing those foods that are extremely difficult to digest, as well as those rich in fiber.
- Try new foods one by one – Doing so can help you figure out which one can produce negative side effects, like constipation, bad odor, loose stool, and excess gas. In case a new food you tried seems to produce negative effects, then consider removing it from your diet for weeks but put it back again after some time. This is important in determining whether it is really that food, which causes the problem or another one.
- Drink lots of water – The stoma may cause you to lose a higher amount of body fluids than what is normal, so it would be best to drink plenty of it to ensure that you won’t end up dealing with the negative effects of fluid loss. Those who lost a huge part or all parts of their large intestine are at risk of experiencing too much loss of fluid. It’s because the large intestine is the one, which normally reabsorbs the body’s fluid.
- Stay away from high-fiber foods or chew them well – Keep in mind that foods that are extremely rich in fiber tend to stimulate your gut, causing you to experience a blockage or diarrhea. These foods include bamboo shoots, lettuce, coconuts, tomato skin, bean sprouts, cabbage, mushroom, popcorn, celery, dried fruits and pineapple.That said, you need to minimize your intake of them or avoid them altogether. If you can’t avoid them, then make sure to chew them well for proper digestion. Doing such can also lower your risk of dealing with colic. All fruits should also be peeled prior to eating.
… Read More..
Everyone wants to look great even as they age. The problem is that we can’t stop the clock from ticking, and in one way or another, we have to accept the fact that we can’t stay young forever. The good news is that there are ways to be as graceful and as beautiful as you want yourself to be regardless of your age. If you want to age gracefully, then here are five tips that you should consider doing on a regular basis:
- Simplify your skincare routines. This means that you should avoid putting too much beauty and skincare products on your face and body. The only beauty essentials that you need are actually sunscreen, a good moisturizer and retinoid. Experts say that using the three mentioned products starting at twenty will let you have younger-looking skin than those who don’t apply them.
Make it a point to apply good sunscreen with good SPF to your skin every morning. This can help keep your skin cells plump. Use a good moisturizer to hydrate your skin, as well. Retinoids are also good for you. These are Vitamin A derivatives that can teach your skin to look young again. These can stimulate collagen production, thereby helping you prevent fine lines and other signs of aging.
- Keep a positive attitude. Keep in mind that what you think about aging may also reflect on you physically. This is the main reason why seniors, who believe that age is just a number that represents happiness, satisfaction and wisdom, have higher likelihood of recovering from their illness. Instead of getting frustrated by your age, maintain a positive attitude, and you will instantly notice how your positive vibes positively reflect on your skin.
- Keep an eye on your diet. Nutrition contributes a lot to the way your body ages. In this case, it would be best to stick to eating only the healthiest foods. If possible, stick to a low-glycemic diet, which is mainly composed of fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein and whole grains. This diet is considered to be the healthiest when it comes to improving your health and maintaining a younger-looking skin. You also need to eat plant-based foods, nuts, whole grains and fish. Cut back on salt and processed foods. Aside from warding off chronic illnesses, these foods are also friendly to your skin and figure. You should also include foods with high Omega-3 fatty acid content in your diet, like salmon, flaxseed and walnuts, as these allow your skin to manufacture enough essential oils that protect your skin and retain its youthful glow.
… Read More..
Life after ostomy may be a bit challenging for some to adapt to. There are certain adjustments that you have to make but with proper tips and guidelines, you can bear with it and speed up your recovery. After your surgery, you may still need to stay at the hospital. This is the time when you’ll undergo the initial phase of your recovery.
Your stoma nurse will inform you about caring for your stoma, as well as the steps involved in emptying and changing the bag. You will also learn about keeping your stoma, as well as its surrounding skin free of irritation and clean. Listen to everything that your nurse tells you so you’ll know exactly how to handle yourself once you get home.
Once you’re at home, here are some tips that can help you recover fast:
- Be aware of the foods that you can safely include in your diet – You can ask your doctor about the foods that you can eat, particularly within the first few days or weeks after your surgery. Each time you eat, though, make it a point to record everything and its effects to your digestion. Remember that different foods also have different effects on your digestive tract so you need to figure out which one is safe enough for you.
- Learn what activities and sports you can safely take part in – Your surgery shouldn’t be a reason for you not to exercise. Keep in mind that exercise and physical activities are still vital parts of your health. That said, you should ask your doctor about the safest sports and activities that you can perform each day.If you want to try doing low-impact yet highly effective ways to stay fit and increase your energy, then consider activities like walking and swimming. When you’re planning to take up sport, remember that you need to do it gradually. Seek the advice of your nurse and doctor so you’ll know the perfect time to start doing your regular exercises and your favorite sports.
- Maintain a healthy body weight – Ensure that you’re doing things that can keep you in shape. Do not neglect your health and weight. Note that if you become overweight or obese, causing extra fat to be deposited in your abdominal wall, then your stoma will have an extremely difficult time performing its function properly.
- Socialize – Your stoma shouldn’t cause you to limit your social activities.
… Read More..