Everyone wants to look great even as they age. The problem is that we can’t stop the clock from ticking, and in one way or another, we have to accept the fact that we can’t stay young forever. The good news is that there are ways to be as graceful and as beautiful as you want yourself to be regardless of your age. If you want to age gracefully, then here are five tips that you should consider doing on a regular basis:
- Simplify your skincare routines. This means that you should avoid putting too much beauty and skincare products on your face and body. The only beauty essentials that you need are actually sunscreen, a good moisturizer and retinoid. Experts say that using the three mentioned products starting at twenty will let you have younger-looking skin than those who don’t apply them.
Make it a point to apply good sunscreen with good SPF to your skin every morning. This can help keep your skin cells plump. Use a good moisturizer to hydrate your skin, as well. Retinoids are also good for you. These are Vitamin A derivatives that can teach your skin to look young again. These can stimulate collagen production, thereby helping you prevent fine lines and other signs of aging.
- Keep a positive attitude. Keep in mind that what you think about aging may also reflect on you physically. This is the main reason why seniors, who believe that age is just a number that represents happiness, satisfaction and wisdom, have higher likelihood of recovering from their illness. Instead of getting frustrated by your age, maintain a positive attitude, and you will instantly notice how your positive vibes positively reflect on your skin.
- Keep an eye on your diet. Nutrition contributes a lot to the way your body ages. In this case, it would be best to stick to eating only the healthiest foods. If possible, stick to a low-glycemic diet, which is mainly composed of fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein and whole grains. This diet is considered to be the healthiest when it comes to improving your health and maintaining a younger-looking skin. You also need to eat plant-based foods, nuts, whole grains and fish. Cut back on salt and processed foods. Aside from warding off chronic illnesses, these foods are also friendly to your skin and figure. You should also include foods with high Omega-3 fatty acid content in your diet, like salmon, flaxseed and walnuts, as these allow your skin to manufacture enough essential oils that protect your skin and retain its youthful glow.
- Stay active. Regular exercise does not only help you feel good, relieve stress and lose weight. It also helps you stay young. Staying physically active is crucial in your attempt to age well. Keep in mind that you tend to lose muscles more quickly when you age.
You can combat that risk by performing regular workouts that can boost your muscle mass and enhance your strength. Staying active and fit also reduces your risk of dealing with age-related memory loss.
- Avoid stress. While life always comes with its own stresses, rest assured that you can actually manage them. Learn proper ways to manage stress as not being able to do so can make you look up to ten years older than you actually are.
The good news is that there are several ways for you to get rid of stress. These include regular exercise, spending time for yourself, and meditation. It also helps to stay social – that is you constantly keep in touch with your closest friends and family.